Getting 240V power

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    tensheds1
    Participant

Hi

I’ve been doing up my camper van for a few months now and I’m on the last stage – wiring!

I want to know if there are any ways to get 240V power without a campsite hook up – just on the open road.

Its for a kettle and toaster and a couple of lights – they seem expensive to buy so I’d prefer to use my own!

I’ve read about inverters and wondered if this is the way to go, or just fork out for new appliances.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. For the lava lamp you’ll
    For the lava lamp you’ll almost definitely need an inverter running from your leisure battery, as it’s 240 volt.
    Take a look at this 12v laptop adapter.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-LAPTOP-NOTEBOOK-CAR-CHARGER-DC-POWER-ADAPTER-/220621098285?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item335e0acd2d
    I used one of these for 9 months with my Toshiba worked fine. Uses quite a bit of power from the leisure battery, as most laptops are 20v, but better than using the mains adapter through an inverter.

1. Thanks Darren
      Cheers for that. Yeah might be the better way to go.

I guess I should just re-wire the lava lamp so it fits to one of these fittings and then I can run that to.

Thanks for your help.

2. Kettles and toasters use a
    Kettles and toasters use a LOT of electricity.
    You can get an inverter and run the kettle and toaster from a leisure battery. BUT, you’ll need a big expensive inverter and they will flatten your leisure battery (batteries) quickly.
    Gas is much more portable and better for kettles and a gas grill is better for toast.
    The 12v kettles and toasters are not really very good, and they cost a lot.
    So better to go for gas if you can, but if you must go electric then get several big leisure batteries and an inverter.

1. Cheers Darren
      Thanks Darren for your help. Yeah we got gas and I suppose it is better and more value for money. However I was also planning to power up a 30Watt lava lamp and a computer (running 20V DC input I think!) – I read on another post that there are ‘adapters’? Can you advise me more on these. I know the lava lamp is a luxury but it was a present!! ha!

Cheers for your help.