Alternator T4

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    james2010
    Participant

Hi,

Prior to any work on the van the alternator warning light came on after starting and remained on while idling up until the point when the engine went above 2000rpm, is this normal?

While installing a relay to charge a leisure battery I cut into the d+ wire from the alternator and connected this to the relay, in doing so i removed the d+ wire from its terminal on the alternator and I cant remember which one of 2 connectors it came from!

I found this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XKylinWDXo ) which shows a blue and red wire coming from the alternator, the blue one is d+, and my T4 doesnt have the red wire, which has only got me more worried… should this be present? or is it a different model?

Basically I dont want the van to catch fire by joining the d+ wire to the wrong socket and was hoping someone could shed some light,

thanks james

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. ref alternator
    Hi i’m a mechanich I’m trying to understand why you cut the wire at the alternator to fit a charging relay, this can be installed very easily without complicating thing’s, I would recommend you refit wires back to standard so things working properly again.If you would like to ring me on 07711 425437 I would be glad to give assistance as I service and maintain and carry out repairs on camper vans and motorhomes, regards Paul

1. Alternator T4
      Hi Paul,
      Is it possible to pick your brains, as I am trying to change the alternator on my 2003 2.5tdi T4. I am having trouble locating which bolt is the one to release the tension for the belt. There appears to be only 2 bolts fixing the alternator to the engine and there lies my problem as last time I fitted one there was 3 with one being the tensioner. I’ve heard that there should an automatic tensioner but I’m unsure how this would work.
      Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks
      Simon

2. alternater
    The red wire on 1.9 engines is the rev counter wire, if your rev counter doesn’t work this is the reason.

3. The alternator warning light
    The alternator warning light generally means the electrical system is using more power than the alternator is giving.
    If the vehicle has always done this, it suggests that the alternator is not generating enough power. Or you have a bad connection, generally an earth connection.

If the alternator is not working properly I would replace it.
    Personally I prefer to have it reconditioned. I prefer to take it to a local reconditioned. They will remove the alternator and replace the bushes and parts that need replacing, then refit the alternator. if you call and arrange in advance the alternator guy can often do it whilst you wait. This saves having the vehicles off the road.

4. Firstly, no that is not
    Firstly, no that is not normal, your alternator light should go out straight after the engine has fired. That is a sign that your alternator will probably soon need replacing or reconditioning.
    2ndly your alternator plastic casing should be marked showing which is terminal is which and i believe you should have both wires, both my 1.9td’s had them.
    Do you have the connecting plug, as this can only go on one way?

KS

1. Thanks for quick reply, no
      Thanks for quick reply, no there was no connecting plug on it (just 2 male spades) and as I said only the d+ wire, no red wire, but i will have a closer look for some markings on the alternator to see which is which.

If its important its a 1998 2.5tdi SWB

What does the red wire do? I mean the van has been driven all around Europe and never faultered, although it has had a fresh battery recently. Would like to get this sorted!

Thanks